Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Day 30

Day Thirty...  A day that will live in infamy...

I will have made it 30 Days Total Vegan come midnight, tonight!

Here's how everything went down on my final day...

Bootcamp.  Kicked my ass.  Ran outside.  I was in the "B" group.  I don't want to talk about it.

Had a Vega protein shake when I got back and 3 cups of coffee throughout the morning.  I decided for my last day that I needed to go by this place called Dulce Vegan http://dulcevegan.com/ in the Kirkwood neighborhood.  I met my buddy, Eric H, over there.  It's a cool vegan bakery and sandwich shop and a favorite of my friends, Russo and Tina.  A little secret I learned: you can rock so many baked goods vegan and never know the difference.  Instead of eggs, you can use apple sauce as a binder and just not use cow's milk.  I would encourage people to try Dulce Vegan.  Don't be scared because of the word "vegan"!

Pumpkin chili was the soup of the day- Very good & spicy!
I tried a few bites and took the rest home.
Their version of the mock chicken salad sandwich-if you go, get this!
Awesome and also a little spicy, too!
Chocolate cupcake with raspberry icing-
Eric got one and tried a bite and couldn't tell the difference
Big E- Talked him into going to this place!
Finally agreed it wasn't bad
For my last official dinner, my favorite ePhilanthropist made a salad and some soup.  

Great final meal for the blog!
Black Bean Soup and a salad
Couldn't believe how simple this soup was and it was really good!

Here are the recipes courtesy of one Laura Lou: 

Black bean soup:
2 cans black beans, rinsed
1 container fresh salsa
1 can vegetable stock
Simmer and put half in a blender, and then add it back to the pot

Added quinoa on top of soup.

Salad:
1 can hearts of palm
1 can artichoke hearts
1/2 cucumber
1 seeded jalapeño
1/2 red onion
1 avocado (unfortunately ours wasn't ripe tonight)
4 tablespoon white vinegar
Cilantro
Salt and pepper
Butter lettuce

Dessert- Mini dairy-free ice cream sandwiches
Tiny, but not bad.  I guess that's how they keep 'em at 90 calories!
That's it!  Now, I'm just counting down the final hours!

A lot of you have asked me... How do I feel? What will I do next? Will I continue being a vegan?  Stay tuned for my last blog entry as a final Recap on what I learned!

Also, for those of you in the ATL who want to join us:

You can find me at my favorite BBQ joint,  Community Q BBQ , in Decatur at 7pm tomorrow!


3 comments:

  1. I have loved sharing this experience with you, Neil. I love your courage to take this on, stepping totally out of your comfort zone. Also, I love that you created this blog and really committed to it. You rock, I do hope you do at least one more post about your thoughts of your overall experience and what you eat tomorrow:-) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud of you! I know it was not easy but you stuck to your guns and did it. I know you are feeling great and you have noticed changes in your body. I am sure you that you will probably adopt some of your new eating habits into your daily life. I wish you luck in your new healthy lifestyle. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete